Brazil slashes Argentina diplomatic presence after Milei's Lula insults — Photo: Photo by Mariano Di Luch on Pexels
Brazil

Brazil slashes Argentina diplomatic presence after Milei's Lula insults


Brazil’s government announced on Tuesday that it is reducing its diplomatic presence in Argentina, following renewed attacks by Argentine President Javier Milei on his Brazilian counterpart Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva. The move marks the first time in recent history that such a step has been taken between the two neighboring countries, according to a spokesperson for Brazil’s foreign office who spoke to The Associated Press.

The spokesperson said that Milei has called Lula ‘a thief’ three times since Sunday. Milei used similar wording on July 25 at the party convention of Sen. Flávio Bolsonaro, son of former President Jair Bolsonaro, who is set to be Lula’s rival in October’s election.

During that same convention, Milei also accused Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes of being ‘trash.’ De Moraes had denied a request by the Argentine president to visit former President Bolsonaro, who is under house arrest serving a 27-year sentence for a coup attempt.

Brazil had already recalled its ambassador to Buenos Aires, Julio Bitelli, in July, a day after Milei’s first remarks against Lula. Since then, Brazil’s interests in Argentina have been represented by a chargé d’affaires, a lower-ranked position. The spokesperson confirmed that Bitelli will not return to Argentina as long as Milei continues to make aggressive comments toward Lula.

Lula has not commented on Milei’s remarks. The two leaders have had a frosty relationship since the Argentine leader took office in December 2023.

Milei is a close ally of U.S. President Donald Trump, whose administration is at odds with Lula. Earlier on Tuesday, the U.S. State Department revoked the visa of Brazil’s ambassador to Washington in retaliation for Brazil’s denial of visas last month for two American diplomats who sought to visit ahead of upcoming elections.

Lula was officially declared candidate for reelection on Sunday at his Workers’ Party convention, where many voiced concerns of foreign interference in the country’s vote. Vice President Geraldo Alckmin, a conservative who will once again be Lula’s running mate, said the country’s electronic voting system was so effective that ‘it doesn’t accept any votes from Argentines and Americans,’ in a reference to Milei and Trump.

The diplomatic rift underscores the growing tension between Brazil and Argentina under Milei, who has aligned himself closely with Trump and adopted a confrontational stance toward Lula. Brazil’s decision to downgrade its diplomatic representation is a clear signal of displeasure with Milei’s repeated insults.

Analysts note that the move could have broader implications for regional diplomacy, as Brazil and Argentina are key partners in South American integration efforts. However, the Brazilian government has made it clear that it will not tolerate disrespect toward its president.

The situation also highlights the wider geopolitical divide in the region, with Milei’s pro-Trump stance contrasting sharply with Lula’s independent foreign policy. As the October elections approach, Lula’s camp has voiced concerns about foreign interference, and the recent visa disputes with the United States add another layer of complexity.

Brazil’s decision to reduce its diplomatic presence in Argentina is a significant step, reflecting the seriousness of the rift. It remains to be seen whether Milei will moderate his rhetoric or if the two countries will continue on a path of estrangement.

For now, Brazil’s interests in Argentina are being handled by a chargé d’affaires, and the ambassador’s return is conditional on Milei ceasing his aggressive comments. The ball is in Milei’s court, and the region watches closely.